A FISHING community is shell-shocked after the death of one of their anglers at a busy park lake.


Popular Peter Seeclear died at Stadt Moers Park Lake in Whiston, Merseyside.

Peter, 45, from Toxteth, had been fishing on a two-day fishing session with Nathan Muat when Police were called after Peter died. Initially no foul play was found.

But Muat was arrested after a routine post mortem and he has been charged with murder.

Muat appeared at Liverpool Crown Court on Tuesday, November 20, and was remanded in custody and will next appear again in Crown Court on February 8.

A possible trial date has been earmarked for the week of May 13, 2019.

Venue regular Aaron Temple told Angler’s Mail: “Peter was into all types of angling really, willing to try and enjoy just catching fish. Muat was more the angler out the two men.

“I met them at my local parks around Liverpool where I coach people in the community.

“Peter was a nice man. It is such a shame it has happened and I know he had a daughter and partner.

“Liverpool parks are free to the community once you’ve applied for a free fishing permit from the Liverpool Parks Authority.”

Detectives investigating the case are asking members of the public who may have seen Peter in Stadt Moers Park between the 28 and 30 October 2018 to come forward, as they may have information which could be vital to their investigation.

Detective chief inspector Richie Jones, said: “Peter Seeclear and another man, from Toxteth, had been fishing over a couple of days at Stadt Moers Park and had been staying in a tent near to the lake situated within the park.

“On the afternoon of 30 October the man with Mr Seeclear ran to a nearby house and advised that Seeclear had suffered a seizure and required an ambulance. The occupant of the address called 999 and paramedics and police officers attended.

“Mr Seeclear was pronounced dead at the scene and initial examination of the body by paramedics and officers found that there were no obvious injuries to suggest anything out of the ordinary.

“As a result of the sudden death the coroner requested a routine post mortem.

“A digital autopsy was carried out in Preston at the request of the coroner and during that examination some internal injuries, not consistent with a non-suspicious death were identified and the examination was halted.

“On 14 November a Home Office post mortem was carried out and the cause of death was identified as severe traumatic chest injuries.

“Peter’s family are devastated by their loss and I would urge anyone who has information, which could assist our investigation, to come forward.”

Anyone with information can contact @MerPolCC, or call 101 quoting reference 0789 of 30 October. Alternatively, you can contact @CrimestoppersUK anonymously on 0800 555 111, which is completely independent of police.

GOT SOME NEWS OR VIEWS, OR MADE A BIG CATCH? Email exclusively to: anglersmail@ti-media.com


With Christmas coming, it’s a great time to subscribe to one of the top magazine offers online here >> magazinesdirect.com.

You’ll then get Angler’s Mail magazine delivered to your door, or the door of a friend/relative. And it’s at discounted rates… to suit all pockets.

There are seasonal deals for the print version and the digital version too.

You may also like to read these Angler’s Mail stories…

Angler killed on riverbank

Relatives of the killed angler, 48-year-old local Scott Wilkinson, were concerned when they had not heard from him. They went…