THE Angling Trades Association has published its bi-annual survey report on the state of the UK tackle trade – and business is only slightly down.
The value of the fishing tackle trade is estimated at £548.7 million, down from £570 million in 2015 but sill above the 2011 £541m figure.
Findings are based on a survey of 1,000 people or organisations involved in the industry.
Naidre Werner, chairman of ATA, explained: “The research was done in 2017 and shows a 3.8 per cent decrease from 2015 and business is only just above where it was in 2011.
“The word from the trade is that business continues to be flat this year perhaps influenced by things varying from adverse weather conditions to the World Cup being on TV.”
Key findings of the 2018 fishing tackle trade report:
- The average turnover of each retailer is £255,520 compared with £248,000 in 2015.
- There are now 10,700 full and 8,185 part-time employees, both significantly down.
- The number of retailers has fallen 6.5 per cent to 2,150. The largest group offers (55 per cent) both as bricks and mortar and mail order/internet service. This is followed by 35 per cent of store-only retailers. Online or mail-order only retailers and fisheries with shops constitute a combined 10 per cent of the UK tackle trade retail footprint.
- General coarse fishing has regained its position as the most popular sector of the market, with a 39 per cent share, followed by carp fishing with 27 per cent sea angling 18 per cent and game 16 per cent.
- The fall in the number of weekly visitors to tackle shops has continued. Now more than 60% of those surveyed said they had between 0-50 customers per week, compared to 38% last time.
- Since the end of 2014, UK exports have fallen by almost £5m to £26.5m in 2016 – around 15 per cent. Imports are double that figure, although again have declined.
Full-time fishing tackle trade employees
Part-time fishing tackle trade employees
CAUGHT A BIG FISH OR GOT SOME NEWS OR VIEWS? You could star in Angler’s Mail in print and online – email pix and details exclusively to: email@example.com
AN ANGLER’S MAIL MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION MAKES A GREAT CHRISTMAS GIFT!
With Christmas coming, it’s a great time to subscribe to one of the top magazine offers online at magazinesdirect.com.
You’ll then get Angler’s Mail magazine delivered to your door, or the door of a friend/relative. And it’s at discounted rates… to suit all pockets.
There are seasonal deals for the print version and the digital version too.
You may also like to read these Angler’s Mail stories…
In conjunction with the Angling Trades Association (ATA) – of which the company is a member – ALL proceeds generated…
Last year, the UK tackle industry was worth a monster £570.4 million, with that healthy rise since the last figures…
ANGLERS have continued to get behind the amazing successful Fish Fight campaign set up by angler and top TV chef…
Angling Direct issued a pre-close trading update for the 12 months to January 31, 2018, ahead of the publication of…
Angling Direct plc has raised approximately £20 million through the issue of new shares at 92.5 pence each. The placing…