- There’s a very popular monthly winner in this competition! Find out who he is and why he’s won by reading this week’s Angler’s Mail magazine – on sale from Tuesday, Feb 4.
Preston Innovations-Angler’s Mail Matchman of the Year qualifiers – for full coverage on this competition see Angler’s Mail magazine every week!
* Bilston Angling Centre Ind WL, Shropshire Union Canal, Wheaton Aston, Staffs. Sun. 30. Barry Jones (Four Ashes AC) 21-9-5, chub, poled caster, peg 25; Nigel Clayton (Browning Lifestyle) 20-8-0; Mark Oakley (Yates’ MG) 19-10-0; Jamie Edgerton (Wolverhampton AA VDE) 16-7-4; Alan Jordan (Bilston Angling Centre) 15-11-0; Steve Cope (Four Ashes AC) 14-0-12. League: Steve Broome (Bilston Angling Centre) 14; Barry Jones (Four Ashes AC) 15; Paul Turner (Wolverhampton AA VDE) 16; Ben Garbett (Wolverhampton AA VDE) 16; Bruce Birch (Four Ashes AC) 16.
* Blackfords, Calf Heath Reservoir, Gailey, Staffs. Sat, 31. Kevin Tipton (Sensas) 44-15-0, skimmers, feeder and worm, point peg 54; Neville Bailey (JCB) 32-8-0; John Burns (Blackfords) 25-4-0; Paul Bucknell (Little Dawley) 21-10-0; Neil Pass (Mansfield) 18-14-0; Trevor Hope (Rod & Gun) 15-9-0.
* Coventry Canal WL, Cov city centre, Warks. Sun, 32. Pete Madeley (Dams & Lock 1) 11-14-4, roach to 8 oz, poled bloodworm, peg A8; Matt Hall (Shakespeare Agility)10-5-3; Paul Bick (Shakespeare Superteam) 6-8-2; Sam Bickley (Browning Central Hybrid) 5-14-0; Ben Sharratt (Shakespeare Agility) 5-7-4; Dave Callaghan (Measham AC) 5-6-4. Teams: Shakespeare Agility 9; Dams & Lock 1 12; Dams & Lock 2 16; Shakespeare Superteam 18; Browning Central Hybrid and Souths Four both 20. League: Shakespeare Agility 31; Dams & Lock 1 35; Shakespeare Superteam 41; Dams & Lock 2 58; Browning Central Force 60; Measham AC 61.
* Moorlands Farm Winter Pairs, Hartlebury, Worcs. Sat, 41, Silver, Middle, Bank, Moors and Island pools. Colin Pace (Colin Pace Academy) 39-12-0, seven carp, pellet at 3m, Bank peg 26; John Bagley (Colin Pace Academy) 29-10-0; Mark Roberson (Browning West Midlands) 29-1-0; Rob Brennan (Stourport) 27-14-0; Lee Harris (Shakespeare) 27-6-0; Neville Groves (Fosters) 27-0-0. Pairs: Lee Harris (Shakespeare)/Simon Christian (Old Ghost) 2; Mal Watson (Daiwa Gordon League)/Colin Pace (Colin Pace Academy) and George Reynolds (Colin Pace Academy)/George Thomas (Bilston Angling Centre) both 3. League: Lee Richards (Packington)/Neville Groves (Fosters) 21; Lee Harris/Simon Christian 25; Mal Watson/Colin Pace 26.
* Preston Innovations Boldings, Bridgnorth, Salop. Sun, 32, Beech, Chestnut and Sycamore pools. Kelvin Emlyn (Oakengates Angling Centre) 47-1-0, carp to 5 lb, maggot at 4 and 10m, peg 7 Beech; Alan Naylor (Oakengates Angling Centre) 31-11-0; Colin Wozek (Matrix Total Angling) 28-10-0; Graham Roberts (Preston Innovations Boldings) 26-11-0.
* Preston Innovations Woodland View Pairs, Hadley, Worcs. Sun, 57, Deans, High & Arles pools. Jason Astle (Fisherman’s Friend) 40-1-0, carp, waggler and maggot, peg A6; Ricky Small (Allen’s Tackle Leamore) 40-0-0; Danny Ludgate (ABC Baits) 34-10-0; Gary Kirkham (ABC Baits) 32-8-0.
Smaller fishing match results reported to the Angler’s Mail team
Email results, photos and dates to the regional reporter for your region to or firstname.lastname@example.org
Browning Lifestyle/IWAA, Shropshire Union Canal, High Onn, Staffs. Sat. 18. Dave Holbrook (Brownhills) 10-5-7, roach, poled caster and punch, peg 2; Fred Cheetham (Team Eclipse) 8-12-5; Dave Richards (Four Ashes AC) 7-11-8; Keith Hulland (Team Eclipse) 7-9-10; Mel Wood (Four Ashes AC) 6-4-8; Dean Williams (Team Eclipse) 4-0-10.
Cefn Mably Lakes, Cardiff. Wed, 15, over-50s. Bob Mitchell (Cefn Mably) 68-8-0, carp, casters and maggots at 6m, peg 38 Match Lake; Brian Protheroe (Merthyr) 31-0-0; Dave Pike (Cardiff) 23-3-0.
Earlswood Lakes, Yachter Pool, Solihull, B’ham. Sun, 15. Ian Barrow (Warwick) 18-12-0, 12 bream, feeder and worm, peg 50; Mark Bissett (Birmingham) 16-10-0; James Robbins (Shakespeare Superteam) 15-4-0.
Elmbridge Fishery, Droitwich, Worcs. Sun, 14, Heron Pool. Jim Russell (Elmbridge) 45-8-0, carp, wagglered pellet and corn, peg 40; Pete Hodge (Storeys) 11-7-0; Alan Esbury (Red Lion) 7-8-0.
Furnace Mill Fisheries, Bewdley, Worcs. Sun, 13, All Pools. Steve Harris (Grant Albutt Angling Supplies) 80-1-0, carp to 7 lb, chub and roach, 4mm pellet over micros at 14 and 16m, Mill peg 89; John Knight (Willow Creek) 29-14-0; Courtenay Metcalfe (Furnace Mill Fisheries) 26-4-0.
Goodyear AC, Staffs-Worcs Canal, Coven, Staffs. Sun, 10. Johnny Benness (Goodyear AC) 7-0-8, two perch to 1 lb, skimmers and roach to 10 oz, poled chopped worm and bread punch, peg 9; Mick Round (Goodyear AC) 5-0-0; Steve Thomson (Goodyear AC) 4-7-0.
Hawkesbury Fishery, Bedworth, Warks. Sat, 13. Richard Grant (Hawkesbury/Gillette) 32-6-0, carp, bomb and corn, peg 1; Rolly Sturdy (Hawkesbury/Tetley) 27-4-0; Keith Walton (Hawkesbury) 24-2-0. Sun, 18. Richard Grant (Hawkesbury/Gillette) 78-8-0, carp, bomb and corn, peg 9; Steve Bull (Hawkesbury) 63-14-0; Craig Kidd (Hawkesbury) 41-4-0.
Iffers, Grange Springs, Trellech, S. Wales. Sun, 10. John Jefferies (Newent) 28-4-0, two carp plus skimmers, poled maggots, pegged outside lodge; Darren Saunders (Iffers) 23-0-0; Wayne Meek (Iffers) 14-15-0.
King’s Pools, Shareshill, W. Mids. Wed, 15, Carp & New Match Pools. JordAn Hall (Maver Midlands / Bag’em Baits) 38-2-0, F1s to pole pellet, peg 15 New Match Pool; Dave Doughty (Woodend) 34-3-0; Adam Rumble (Maver Midlands) 27-4-0.
Moorlands Farm, Hartlebury, Worcs. Tues, 14. Mark Blackburn (West Midlands Police/Maver) 54-14-0, F1s, pellet at 6m, peg 14 Island Pool; Bill Rathbone (St. Francis AC) 37-3-0; Owen Boswell (Colin Pace Academy) 36-0-0. Wed, 18, over-50s, Silver Pool. Chris Newton (Smithys) 71-12-0, F1s, maggot down edge, peg 29; Richard Kings (Colin Pace Academy) 54-12-0; Andy Danks (Moorlands) 36-0-0. Thurs, 16, Island, Middle and Moors. Mal Watson (Daiwa Gordon League) 52-2-0, F1s, pellet down edge, peg 12 Moors; Tony Stead (West Midlands Police/Maver) 40-6-0; Steve Rowe (Old Bear) 31-4-0. Sun, 28, Meadow. Dave Williams (Halesowen RBL) 31-8-0, four carp, bomb and pellet, peg 52; Colin Pace (Colin Pace Academy) 27-9-0; Richard Kings (Colin Pace Academy) 19-11-0.
Mosella Manor Farm Leisure, Harvington, Worcs. Wed, 12, Island Pool. Tony Shepherd (Banbury Gunsmiths) 60-8-0, carp and F1s, poled pellet and groundbait feeder, peg 9; Steve Ford (Daiwa Gordon League) 47-4-0; Colin Woodward (Smithys) 32-8-0. Thurs, 12, Island. Martin Woods (EWMC) 44-0-0, carp and F1s, poled pellet and groundbait feeder, peg 17; Phil Smith (Throckmorton AC) 37-4-0; Neil Richards (Colmic Airon) 31-0-0. Sat, 14, Middle. Rob Ellis (Smithys) 61-8-0, carp and F1s, groundbait feeder plus bomb and pellet, peg 8; Richard Merry (Arthurs Angling Supplies) 28-8-0; Steve Partington (Arthurs Angling Supplies) 27-12-0. Sun, 24, Island and Boundary. Jason Cooke (WB Clarke/Sensas) 98-12-0, carp, F1s and skimmers, poled pellet and groundbait feeder, peg 27 Island; Neil McKinnon (Preston Innovations) 60-4-0; Dan Varney (Drennan) 58-0-0; Chris Telling (Colmic Airon) 50-8-0.
Port Talbot Docks, West Glamorgan. Sun, 12. Mal Entwhistle (Glamorgan Rebels) 21-15-0, roach, groundbait feedered corn and red maggots, peg on walkway; Steve Down (Skewen) 20-7-0; Mike Towler (Glamorgan Rebels) 20-4-0.
Preston Innovations Boldings, Bridgnorth, Salop. Mon, 12, Stock and Middle Pools. Andy Buckley (Shifnal AC) 41-1-0, carp to 4 lb, pellet at 14m, peg 4 Stock; Gary Steele (WAC) 37-4-0; Dave Cole (Bronx) 23-12-0. Wed, 12, Beech. Stuart Aston (Swan Tackle) 34-15-0, carp to 4 lb, pellet at 10m, peg 26; Mick Jameson (Preston Innovations Boldings) 23-1-0; Liam Reynolds (ABC) 22-1-0. Thurs, 12, Hawthorn and Middle. Adam Slade (Sedgley) 41-9-0, carp to 4 lb, pellet at 13m and to island, peg 5 Hawthorn; Ken Humphreys (Oswestry) 31-6-0; Colin Reynolds (Bilston Angling Centre) 23-15-0.
Preston Innovations Woodland View, Hadley, Worcs. Tues, 10, Ghost Pool. Steve Lawrence (WM Travel) 25-8-0, carp, poled pellet and maggot, peg G2; Mark Betteridge (WM Travel) 19-8-0; Jason Stone (Woodlands) 15-0-0.
Riverside Fishery, Maesycwmmer, Gwent. Sat, 14. Clive Roberts (Sensas Nomads) 18-0-0, roach, casters at 5m, peg 6; Anthony Hembrow (Cwmcelyn) 14-12-0; Paul Hemberrow (Cwmcelyn) 12-2-0. Sun, 15. Dean Nott (Caerphilly) and Martin Challenger (Cwmbran) both 13-12-0, Nott skimmers to corn at 13m at peg 4, Challenger roach on maggots at 5m pole from peg 8; Tony Birt (Blackwood) 13-3-0.
Solhampton Fishery Ind WL, Stourport-On-Severn, Worcs. Sun, 20, Dragonfly Pool. Steve Burrus (Club 2000) 73-0-0, carp to 3 lb on corn at 14m plus to 8 lb on pellet at 4m, peg 6; Nick Rowley (Solhampton) 47-8-0; Dave ‘Lofty’ Harrison (Solhampton) 39-12-0. League: Mark Betteridge (National Express Walsall) 9; Steve Burrus (Club 2000) 14; Burgess Homer (Solhampton) 15.
Spencer Works, Redhill Fishery, Monmouth. Sat, 10. Warren Beard (Cwmbran) 31-0-0, carp, legered bread, peg 3 Tilley’s Pond; Phil Rawlings (Newport) 26-4-0; Andy Price (Newport) 26-0-0.
Tunnel Barn Farm, Shrewley, Warks. Mon, 15, Canal Pool. Graham Young (Young’s MG) 15-14-0, F1s, roach, skimmers and barbel, maggot at 6m, peg 6; John Berry (Swann Baits) 15-0-0; Pete Hancox (Birmingham) 13-10-0. Tues, 16, Top Pool, over-50s. Pete Rice (Bag’em Matchbaits) 42-9-0, F1s, roach, skimmers and perch, maggot at 2m, peg 9; Chris Constable (Tunnel Barn Farm Veterans) 38-8-0; John Berry (Swann Baits) 21-14-0. Wed, 16, House Pool 1. Pete Rice (Bag’em Matchbaits) 33-3-0, F1s, roach and perch, maggot at 2m, peg 33; Darrell Jackson (Bonehill Mill) 31-7-0; Wayne Sweetman (Tunnel Barn Farm) 30-8-0. Thurs, 35, Veterans, Jennys, Club and House 2 pools. John Berry 39-15-0, carp, dobbed bread at 12m, peg 13 Club; Len Whatton 35-10-0; Paul Lewis 33-13-0; Dennis Lutwytche 31-9-0; Chris Constable 31-0-0; Steve Stokes 19-12-0 (all Tunnel Barn Farm Veterans). Fri, 18, Top Pool. David James (Mosella) 55-13-0, 55-13-0, F1s, pellet at 4 and 6m, peg 30; Dave Wellavize (Royal Marines) 40-10-0; Alex Harper (Tunnel Barn Farm Colts) 40-9-0. Sat, 16, Canal Pool. Pete Rice (Bag’em Matchbaits) 40-7-0, F1s, roach and skimmers, maggot at 2m, peg 19; Nigel Rimmer (Maver Gold) 35-2-0; Paul Bick (Shakespeare) 28-8-0; Les Wetton (Tunnel Barn Farm/F1 Baits) 28-3-0. Sun, 22, House Pool 2. Stu Palser (Middy/Banbury Gunsmiths) 62-13-0, F1s and skimmers, peg 28; Pete Rice (Bag’em Matchbaits) 60-12-0; Pete Caton (Drennan Banbury Gunsmiths) 51-15-0; Clive Nixon (Maver Gold) 43-14-0.
White Springs, Pontarddulais, nr. Swansea. Sun, 17. Steve Gardener (Neath) 27-11-0, bream and carp, feedered pellets to island, peg on New Canal; Dan Black (Skewen) 21-8-0; Pete James (Swansea) 20-0-0.
Woodside Ind WL, Dudley No. 2 Canal, Merry Hill, W. Mids. Sun, 20. Dave Sheaf (Black Country Tackle) 7-1-0, a 1 lb 8 oz roach plus smaller roach and perch, poled caster, peg 95; Simon West (Cradley Heath Labour AC) 6-8-0; Wayne Shipley (Canal Kings) 6-2-0; John Billingham (Halesowen RBL) 4-1-0; Gary Atkins (Tipton) 3-11-0; Mark Traves (Halesowen RBL) 2-15-0. League: Dave Sheaf (Black Country Tackle) 10; Barry Robson (Cradley Heath Labour AC) 14.
CALLING all match fishing organisers – give us your 2014 dates!
Are you running or connected with an Open fishing match taking place in 2014? Or maybe you have a series of events, a league or weekly event to promote? Email Angler’s Mail magazine the full details, including venue and ticket price and contact telephone number. Mark your email Matchplan and email to: email@example.com
Use the same email address for pictures from recent matches, and other match news.
Like us on Facebook >> AnglersMailMagazine
Follow us on Twitter >> @AnglersMail