FISHOMANIA 2017 finals are here - and we explain all about the format this year, the qualifiers and how you can watch.
Fishomania’s big day for the main money final is Saturday, July 8. The new sponsor is top commercial vehicle lease company Vanarama.
The venue is again Cudmore Fisheries, Whitmore, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire.
The Grand Final is comprised initially of 24 competitors who have qualified from 24 regional qualifiers across England.
They are joined by one German qualifier who won through a single qualification event to make a field of 25 anglers.
The match is fished to Angling Trust match rules with some local rules applying including no floating baits to be fed, barbless hooks must be used and no use of floating pole.
The competitors are weighed in every 30 minutes and at the conclusion of the five-hour match, the angler with the greatest aggregate weight of the ten weigh-ins, will be declared the champion.
Fishomania payouts 2017
Main champion – £50,000
Runner-Up – £10,000
25 x £500 expenses – £12,500
Ladies Champion – £1,000
6 x £100 expenses – £600
Junior Champion – £1,000
6 x £50 expenses – £300
Fishomania Qualifying Anglers
The Fishomania qualifiers took place across England from April to June. There were 28 heats in total with 12 heats of 130 competitors, eight events of 150 anglers, four of 160 entrants, two of 200 angers and two heats comprising 300 pegs. That made a total entry of 4,400 competitors.
- Steve Jackson (Bridgwater), Weds 8th March – Viaduct Fishery, 141lbs 9oz
- Stephen Openshaw (Moreton), Sat 11th March – Heronbrook Fishery, 121lbs 0oz
- Paul Blinkhorn (Wakefield), Sat 25th March – Tunnel Barn Farm, 182lbs 9oz
- Richard Chapman (Burton on Trent), Sun 26th March – Colemans Cottage, 92lbs 8oz
- Robert Giles (Blackwood), Sat 1st April – Viaduct Fishery, 178lbs 13oz
- Andy Power (Wells), Sat 8th April – Woodlands View, 156lbs 0oz
- Tony Curd (Notting Hill), Weds 12th April – Monk Lakes, 134lbs 0oz
- Andy Adams (Oakham), Sat 15th April – Barford Lakes, 104lbs 11oz
- Colin Scott (Bolton), Weds 19th April – Partridge Lakes, 85lbs 5oz
- Jason Redgrave (Coventry), Sat 22nd April – Makins Fishery, 104lbs 8oz
- Adam Richards (Easingwold), Sat 6th May – Tunnel Barn Farm, 164lbs 6oz
- Ross Harold (Tilbury), Weds 10th May – Monk Lakes, 134lb 0oz
- Jamie Hughes (Higher Bebbington), Weds 17th May – Lake View, 118lbs 4oz
- Steve Barraclough (Wakefield), Sat 20th May – Hallcroft, 134lbs 11oz
- Lee Kerry (Wakefield), Sun 21st May – Lindholme Lakes, 200lb 2oz
- Steve Cooke (Retford), Weds 24th May – Messingham Sands, 205lbs 15oz
- Jason Collins (Chadwell St Mary), Sat 27th May – Colemans Cottage, 208lbs 0oz
- Lee Bennett (Manchester), Sat 3rd June – The Oaks, 212lbs 15oz
- Ben Sharp (Melton Mowbray), Sun 4th June – Larford Lakes, 126lbs 4oz
- Chris Weeder (St Helens), Weds 7th June – Boldings, 132lbs 2oz
- Keith Pentland (Darlington), Sat 10th June – Woodlands, 161lbs 12 oz
- Steve Hamilton (St Helens), Weds 14th June – Partridge Lakes, 150lbs 12oz
- Will Raison (Aldershot), Sat 17th June – Gold Valley Lakes, 211lbs 4oz
- Dave Roberts (Hereford), Weds 21st June – Lindholme Lakes, 249lbs 2oz
- Markus Billen (Cologne, Germany), Sun 30th April,
There are six competitors, who have qualified by being the top six finishers at the Ladies National. The match lasts for four hours with a single weigh-in at the conclusion of the match.
- Kayleigh Smith (Leeds)
- Wendy Locker (Chester)
- Sophie Hill (Maidstone)
- Deana Wood (Lancing)
- Helen Dagnall (Warrington)
- Heather Dewey (Burton on Trent)
There are six competitors, who have qualified by being the top six finishers at the Junior National. The match lasts for four hours with a single weigh-in at the conclusion of the match.
- Sam Collett (Leicester)
- Jordan Holloway (Bewdley)
- Danny Slack (Rotherham)
- Kristian Jones (Ellesmere Port)
- Will McCranor (Balsall Common)
- Yestyn Sephton (Leigh)
Watch Fishomania on television – or be there!
Sky Sports broadcast over five hours live to subscribers in UK and Ireland. Coverage is due to start at 12noon until 5.30pm.
In addition, Matchroom Sport produces a two-hour highlight show of each of the events for subsequent syndication.
You can be there too. To get free tickets to watch as a spectator via the official website
Angler’s Mail print magazine has been bringing you full coverage of all qualifiers and will be bringing you the special coverage of the big final.
Fish’O’Mania Schedule, Saturday 8th July
09:00 JUNIORS & LADIES ALLOWED ACCESS TO PEGS
10:00 ALL COMPETITORS ALLOWED ACCESS TO PEGS (MAIN EVENT & INTERNATIONALS)
11:00 JUNIORS FISH’O’MANIA XXIV COMMENCES
1 FINAL WEIGH IN AT: 15:00
11:30 LADIES FISH’O’MANIA XXIV COMMENCES
1 FINAL WEIGH IN AT: 15:30
12:00 SKY SPORTS LIVE BROADCAST BEGINS
12:05 FISH’O’MANIA XXIII COMMENCES
HALF HOURLY WEIGH-INS AT: 12:35, 13:05, 13:35, 14:05, 14:35, 15:05, 15:35, 16:05, 16:35
15:00 JUNIORS FISH’O’MANIA XXIV MATCH ENDS
FINAL WEIGH-IN – ALL OUT, NO PLAYING TIME AFTER WHISTLE
15:30 LADIES FISH’O’MANIA XXIV MATCH ENDS
FINAL WEIGH IN – ALL OUT, NO PLAYING TIME AFTER WHISTLE
17:05 FISH’O’MANIA XXIV ENDS
FINAL WEIGH-IN – ALL OUT, NO PLAYING TIME AFTER WHISTLE
17:30 SKY SPORTS BROADCAST CONCLUDES
Fishomania champions – full list
2016 Andy May 27.150 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2015 Jamie Hughes 16.600 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2014 Andrew Geldart 19.57 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2013 Jamie Hughes 68.47 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2012 Warren Martin 30.67 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2011 Shane Atkin 20.53 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2010 Neil McKinnon 27.98 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2009 Matt Hall 34.77 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2008 Mick Bull 29.64 kg Cudmore Fisheries, Stoke
2007 Clive Wright 51.92 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
2006 Neil Machin 98.69 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
2005 Marc Jones 17.55 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
2004 Rob Hitchens 25.07 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
2003 Matt Hall 22.00 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
2002 Nathan Watson 39.60 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
2001 Steve Jackson 37.61 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
2000 Geoff Ringer 19.70 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
1999 Steve Cooke 31.610 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
1998 Steve Ringer 32.54 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
1997 Kevin Rowles 17.59 kg Hayfield Lakes, Doncaster
1996 Dave Pimlott 6.60 kg Hallcroft Fisheries, Retford
1995 Andy Jennings 19.56 kg Hallcroft Fisheries, Retford
1994 Ian Turner 13.15 kg Mallory Park, Leics
GOT SOME NEWS OR VIEWS? Email exclusively to email@example.com
Angler’s Mail print magazine has been bringing you full coverage of all Fishomania 2017 qualifiers and will be bringing you the special coverage of the big final.