Brothers Carl & Alex, aged 17 and 14, are the youngest bloggers in our mix.

WELCOME to our Friday blog. Every Friday we hand over to Carl and Alex Smith – known online as simply Carl & Alex.

These super keen youngsters have a passion for making a variety of fishing videos, and provide a youth dimension to our new blogging mix.

We hope you enjoy the blog, written by Carl, and share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter by clicking the icons above.




I SPENT a huge amount of this week doing very little; I think laziness, ill temper and general glumness comes with being a teenager. But on Wednesday I managed to boot my idleness out the window and get down the river…

Carl’s set up

I checked the time, it was 2pm, just enough time to have a decent session on my local stream.

I was a little worried about all the rain we had the night before but was even more concerned about the insane amount of snowmelt there would be in the river.

On arriving I glanced down into the roaring weirpool. I chuckled to myself as I realised I had no chance of holding bottom in the deafening torrent.

A huge feeder stuffed with Fish Frenzy Method Pellet and a scattering of larger offerings was to be my chosen approach, I used 15lb mainline on my carp reel and a 12lb hooklink, culminating in a size 10 hook and a 12mm Pre-drilled pellet from Bait-Tech. I tucked the hookbait into the bottom of the feeder to make sure the hook did not become snagged on any debris as it sunk.

The first two swims I fished were hopeless, 2.5m of floodwater surged over the usual river level. The normally small stream was carrying logs, branches, leaves and even the bushes, which previously provided cover for chub, were completely submerged.

I decided to try a slack in the corner swim, but found the river in a very different state to normal. The slack near the far bank was replaced with the main flow and the shape of the river had completely changed! There was not a single swim where I could find water slack enough to hold bottom. I ended up fishing onto the ledge where I would normally sit!

Even after an hour and a half I was still to have a bite so I gave up and walked up to the car park; whilst I stood there I noticed a tiny calm patch of water at the side of the pool.

It only took 20 minutes of my bait being in the slack before the baitrunner spun into life as the tip nodded furiously! Surprisingly the fish did not hug the bottom and instead darted into the maelstrom of white water. I began to think I had hooked one of the many sea trout which were making their way up the river, but as I lifted the net around it I realised I had caught my first barbel of the year.

Carl’s first barbel of the year

To say I was pleased would be an understatement, and the capture of this fish inspired Alex and me to spend a total of seven hours on the river come the weekend.

I was glad to see the river approaching normal levels, but was disappointed that the temperature had plummeted.

On Saturday Alex managed a small but pretty chub which almost dragged his rod in and on Sunday I caught a slightly larger chub on maggot feeder tactics.

A chub for Alex

In the end it was a tough but rewarding week, but that is what river fishing is like! Thanks for reading our blog, we hope to be netting plenty more chub next week, if the rain stays away!


P.S.  Definitely come back next week because I have just had a big surprise back at the weirpool!

Check back on this website for a new blog every day!


Click HERE to catch up on all this website’s latest blogs

Be sure to get this week’s Angler’s Mail magazine (on sale from Tuesday, February 12) – and don’t miss an issue! Also now available in digital form on iTunes stores, and app stores for Kindle Fire and Nook.

Like us on

Like us on Facebook >> AnglersMailMagazine

Follow us on Twitter >> @AnglersMail

Watch Angler’s Mail TV >> AMTV